If you are an experienced Speech Language Pathologist, consider SLP continuing education to take your paycheck up a notch.
SLP CEUs are earned throughout your career and are used by your superiors to measure your participation in learning activities such as online courses or labs for example.
Beyond the fact that SLP continuing education courses help you to stay up-to-date on your industry’s medical advancements, they are a surefire way to make you more valuable to an employer.
Take a look at these three easy steps for earning more money with SLP CEUs.
1. Find CEUs for Speech Language Pathologists
Speech Pathology CEUs focus on a variety of areas to help you stay on the cutting edge of your profession.
And fortunately, continuing education for SLP providers can be obtained in a number of ways.
Online courses are often the best option for those leading an on-the-go lifestyle. Thanks to advancements in technology and software, there are endless ways to earn your CEUs online.
Here are a few of our favorite perks of doing so:
- Online CEUs often cost less than other options.
- Online learning provides you with a distraction-free way to learn at your own pace.
- The number of courses offered is highly varied compared to what you can learn in-person.
- You get to choose your learning environment. Awesome!
- Earning SLP CEUs becomes something that fits into your life, not something you have to work your life around.
- If you are a shy person, online courses offer you a way to engage with your peers without having to meet up face-to-face.
- Save time and gas money by removing the need to commute to and from a classroom setting.
The key to finding quality online learning is to search for accredited courses only. Some of the accredited websites you can visit are:
Conferences, Events, and Convention
What’s more fun than meeting up with your peers for some in-person training and networking?
Instead of taking courses in a classroom or online, you can attend conferences, events or even conventions and count certain parts of that time towards your CEUs.
There’s something to be said about learning alongside your peers. There is collaboration, thought-sharing and it always feels like fun instead of work.
There are many Speech-Language Pathology conferences offered throughout the country and world, but we recommend searching for conferences by specialty since there is such an abundance.
2. Attend a Conference for ASHA Continuing Education Units
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association is an amazing resource for continuing education.
In fact, ASHA CEUs set the standard when it comes to continuing education since they are the only service that awards and tracks your ASHA CEUs.
ASHA Professional Development courses feature the most current research and industry-leading professors. They offer online courses, webinars, and in-person learning. ASHA also coordinates a number of conferences, events, and conventions.
The CEUs you earn with ASHA can be used for a variety of things:
- Earn Your Award for Continuing Education (ACE)
- Certification Maintenance
- Specialty Certification
- State Licensure Renewal
3. Negotiate Higher Pay After SLP Continuing Education
According to the US Department of Labor’s Bureau of Statistics, Speech-Language Pathologists pay can vary greatly depending on where they work. Below is the median income for SLPs based on industry:
- Nursing and residential care facilities: $94,680
- Offices of physical, occupational and speech therapists, and audiologists: $84,390
- Hospitals; state, local, and private: $83,970
- Educational services; state, local, and private: $68,270
In addition to continuing education, you can take advantage of this in-demand profession by working with a recruiter to maximize your earning potential.
Recruiters have a large network of contacts that know about high paying open positions so they can help you land the job of your dreams based on your experience.
Put These Tips to the Test
Not only will continuing your education help you become a better SLP, but it will help you earn a better living over time. And who isn’t ready to make more money while also making an impact?
To maximize your full earning potential as a SLP, speak to one of our recruiters today.